Author Topic: Fire Protection Against EMP  (Read 2017 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline thecrownsown

  • VIP
  • ***
  • Posts: 161
  • Karma: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • New Member
    • CSICOP
  • Country: Canada
  • Location: Ontario
Fire Protection Against EMP
« on: September 06, 2013, 11:12:52 AM »
Are there concerns with a massive EMP burst that wiring or electrical devices within a residence can cause overheating and fires? No difference than overloading your electrical draw and causing the same fire hazard?

If not, please let me know.

If so, is there anything to mitigate this problem?

Does anyone have an expertise or specialization in this area? I'm not looking for opinion, but for some cold hard facts. 


"Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has no right to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities and the smallest minority on earth is the individual."

Ayn Rand

Offline icrcc

  • Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • *
  • Posts: 3533
  • Karma: 32
  • Gender: Male
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
  • Country: Canada
  • Location: Northern Ontario
Re: Fire Protection Against EMP
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 12:06:03 PM »
It depends on the both the type and intensity of the EMP. The most danger for causing fires would not be the intense field itself but the effects that it produces. During the Clarington event in 1859 telegraph operators were electrocuted and fires were started. Again in 1921 Karlstad, Sweden suffered the consequences of another severe solar storm and caught fire.

These effects were from the effect of the EMP and induced current in the telegraph systems in North America and Europe. Today we have massive grid systems for power and telephone distribution. Although they are better protected than the old telegraph systems they are not EMP proof.  With transformers popping all over the place and bursting into flames along with the fact that not all the resulting current surges will be arrested fires are inevitable.

An EMP from a high altitude nuclear blast could arguably be worse because the greater fields produced would not require long lengths of conductor to produce significant currents.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline wild_E

  • Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • *****
  • Posts: 1510
  • Karma: 34
  • Gender: Male
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
  • Country: Canada
  • Location: Ontario
Re: Fire Protection Against EMP
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 12:48:05 PM »
You would have to do like the Amish,
remove all wires from the house
remove all wires leading to the house


Even an off grid house has wires going into it normally from Wind/Solar or generator.
good luck

Offline icrcc

  • Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • *
  • Posts: 3533
  • Karma: 32
  • Gender: Male
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
  • Country: Canada
  • Location: Northern Ontario
Re: Fire Protection Against EMP
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 12:58:59 PM »
An HEMP could melt, hence ignite a wind generator.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline thecrownsown

  • VIP
  • ***
  • Posts: 161
  • Karma: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • New Member
    • CSICOP
  • Country: Canada
  • Location: Ontario
Re: Fire Protection Against EMP
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 03:15:02 PM »
So with the previous EMP effects on wires, is it plausible that our homes could become tinder boxes?

Wiring today is much better insulated and meets stringent codes, but with a large EMP, could we expect wires melting..next to wood frames and fires starting within houses?  I guess my concern is with all the wiring, light fixtures, electrical devices throughout a home...can we expect fires to happen?  I don't completely understand how this happens, and just wondering if this is another concern I should be prepping for?  And if so...how the heck would you prep for the potential of fire if its caused by a pulse acting on your electrical distribution and devices throughout your house??
"Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has no right to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities and the smallest minority on earth is the individual."

Ayn Rand

Offline icrcc

  • Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • *
  • Posts: 3533
  • Karma: 32
  • Gender: Male
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
  • Country: Canada
  • Location: Northern Ontario
Re: Fire Protection Against EMP
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 06:36:55 PM »
A huge current surge would likely cause most damage at the point where the power utilities lines enter the house at the Breaker box.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline NObshere

  • Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • *****
  • Posts: 1367
  • Karma: 24
  • Gender: Male
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
  • Country: Canada
  • Location: Alberta
Re: Fire Protection Against EMP
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 09:17:51 PM »
The use of HV surge arrestors at your transformer would definately help by dumping the load straight to ground, and thereby terminating any current from your power source. Also the same could theoretically be done to dump load at your fuse panel in your house, this would eliminate/minimze any damage.

Love these topics
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer


Offline thecrownsown

  • VIP
  • ***
  • Posts: 161
  • Karma: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • New Member
    • CSICOP
  • Country: Canada
  • Location: Ontario
Re: Fire Protection Against EMP
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 07:46:58 AM »
Do I need a HV surge protector for a 200amp panel in a home?   Or is it more for the protection from HV?

With an EMP acting within a house as well as from outside...is it just the panel that should be protected, or is there any other points in the house?  Everything is grounded right? receptacles, etc....so is this redundant?  Am I making something out of a non issue?

"Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has no right to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities and the smallest minority on earth is the individual."

Ayn Rand

Offline NObshere

  • Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • *****
  • Posts: 1367
  • Karma: 24
  • Gender: Male
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
  • Country: Canada
  • Location: Alberta
Re: Fire Protection Against EMP
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 07:35:38 PM »
Just the panel should be protected, this is an interesting subject I'll crunch some thoughts and numbers and come up with some thing for you like a grounding switch system
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer