Author Topic: Are Mylar Bags also EMP Bags  (Read 1973 times)

Offline thecrownsown

• VIP
    • CSICOP
Are Mylar Bags also EMP Bags
« on: September 06, 2013, 11:09:07 AM »
Looking for some clarification on EMP.  I've done the mighty google, and found lots of forums that talk about it...but end up digressing shortly afterwards and there is a lot of conflicting opinions.

Does anyone know if the same mylar bags we use for long term food storage are also the EMP bags that sell for exponentially more?   It seems these are the same bags that electronics (like new hard drives, etc.) get delivered in but I don't know for sure.

"Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has no right to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities and the smallest minority on earth is the individual."

Ayn Rand

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
Re: Are Mylar Bags also EMP Bags
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 12:28:28 PM »
There you pose a good question. I get a lot of electronics shipped to me in electrostatic protective bags. I do not know if they are exactly the same as Mylar bags. I have tons of electrostatic bags but I doubt that they are food grade which has prevented me for using them for that purpose. Some of the electrostatic bags that I have would not be suitable for protecting against EMP's. In the absence of factual information I would only use the product for its intended use.

Mylar is a special type of stretched polyester film. There are a couple of different methods of production. One of the properties of Mylar is that it is an electrical insulator. Metals such as gold, aluminum or other metals are often added by a process of vapor deposition onto the plastic. With so many variables and a lack of specific specifications I would not entrust my sensitive electronics to Mylar bags for EMP protection.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 12:45:07 PM »
short answer the bags are just for static electricity, that is why you should touch metal before opening them and some your supposed to have a grounding strap on your wrist.

Would be good to put stuff inside of it, inside a faraday cage like in your other post. Every little bit counts and helps out in this regards.
Garbage can, or strong cookie tin for small stuff, with two layers of insulation all around.

good luck
+ 1 Karma for two good questions in a row!
these questions will help others.

Offline thecrownsown

• VIP
    • CSICOP
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 03:17:41 PM »
You just had to do the karma thing eh?   8)

If someone could please put me back in the negative I would appreciate it...I think Wild_E enjoys antagonizing me!   :D
"Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has no right to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities and the smallest minority on earth is the individual."

Ayn Rand

Offline wild_E

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 06:57:29 PM »
No I do not think so!
Karma points should only be awarded for positive and negative posts and behaviours. I never wish to see someone constantly with negative points, that would be sad.

You can go in and give yourself another title in the control panel, be creative but... polite ;)

Offline Primus is Scrounger

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 07:37:18 PM »
Crown, take the karma points.  It's for your own good  ;)

In the 1950s Blanche Saunders was a staunch advocate of pet-dog training, travelling the length and breadth of the U.S. to promote obedience classes. In The Complete Book of Dog Obedience, she said, "Dogs learn by associating their act with a pleasing or displeasing result. They must be disciplined when they do wrong, but they must also be rewarded when they do right." Negative reinforcement procedures played a key part in Saunders' method, primarily the jerking of the choke chain. The mantra taught to students was "Command! Jerk! Praise!" She felt that food should not be an on-going reward, but that it was acceptable to use "a tidbit now and then to overcome a problem." Saunders perhaps began the shift away from military and police training methods, stressing repeatedly the importance of reinforcement for good behaviour in training—a move toward the positive training methods used today.
BANNED(due to vulgarity and many other issues..) also known as Scrounger

Offline wild_E

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 10:14:06 PM »
Primus +1 Karma for positive, reinforcing post with some great background, thank you!