Author Topic: Studying for Your HAM License??  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
Studying for Your HAM License??
« on: March 31, 2016, 10:43:09 PM »
Howdy All,

For those of you who are currently studying for you HAM Radio License here is a link that may prove very useful.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/025.nsf/eng/h_00040.html

This is a link to the test generator. Only 1100 questions to memorize. I believe you need 85% to pass. So, once you can consistently score 90% or better, I would say you are ready for your licensing test.

Just did the test tonite, I have not cracked my study guide in over a year or two. Scored 65%. Yup, I need to get back at the books.

Maybe we can post questions and suggestions here to help each other get through the testing process.

MM.

Offline tellab

• Contributer
Re: Studying for Your HAM License??
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 10:57:00 PM »
Thanks mountainman. I have the ic test generator as well  and it's a good tool. We are at about the same level - 65%. I need to find the time to  study more. I think your idea about posting questions is a good idea..

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 10:53:00 PM »
Tellab,

Thanks for the reply. Together, we can all get a HAM rig operating.

Cheers,

MM.

Link of the day:

http://www.amrron.com/communications-resources/communications-resources-2/

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 12:27:38 PM »
On one hand I can see the benefit of getting a HAM license. The education part will be helpful in maximizing antennas and also jury rigging things if needed. As well it would be easier to develop a network of operators either locally or internationally, depending on the bands and equipment you operate. The one thing that makes me a little leery is the fact that getting a license puts you on another government list that labels you with that capability. Just sayin'.
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Offline Henry

• Pro Preppers
  • VIP
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 07:36:03 PM »
I have HAM radio, but did not get my licence. I started study the questions but it is way too boring and way out of my interest. On the other hand I know how important it is to communicate with the world in case of disaster. So I just hooked it to my solar system and learn how to use it properly.
I am more hands on prepper.
Henry

Offline fleetway

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 08:23:34 PM »
can you just buy ham radio gear anywhere?

Offline tellab

• Contributer
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 08:39:20 PM »
There are lots of places you can buy ham radio equipment from amazon, eBay to local outlets and even on kijiji.  No licence is required to buy them. The problem is that while there are no restrictions to listen in, you are not authorized to transmit without a licence.  Although in a true shtf scenario - no one will care if you transmit. 

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 09:18:32 PM »
Some Canadian places to get gear and information are:

http://www.durhamradio.com/amateur-ham-radio-equipment-dealer-canada.html (Toronto area)

http://www.megabytehitech.com/ (Hamilton)... small but responsive. Email communication is good. Lots of used CB equipment. Good to deal with.

http://www.gpscentral.ca/amateur-radio.html?gclid=CKaigOXm88sCFQuPaQodnfwB1w ( Western Canada)

There is also an online Canadian study guide:

http://www.hamstudy.com/index.html  The cost is very reasonable.

THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 10:59:53 PM »
Fleetway,

Like Tellab said, you can buy HAM gear without a license.....you can listen without a license but don't get caught transmitting without a license. As the HAM community is quite welcoming, they are quite ridgid about the licensing rules and proper callsign, etc.

Now, if you are looking to add some character pieces to your interior decorating, that will be both pleasing to the eye and EMP proof, you can seek out actual tube radio receivers and transmitters. The vaccuum tube technology is large in physical space but tough, compared to micro-technology in say a Baofeng UV-5R handheld HAM radio.

I am happy to see this topic takeoff so quickly.

JAB,

As for lists.......if you end up on all the lists are they going to call any sooner?? Or will they lose the lists?? I do not know the answers. I like the idea of this new HAM radio stuff - the mixing the netbook computer with a handheld HAM to have e-mail, even if everything else crashes. For that, I would like to practice before I need to use the service.

Our preparedness community has different needs and wants than the HAM community, from what I have observed in the last few years. A HAM operator is always seeking to get more power into their HAM shack so they can blast their callsign further around the world, that is success to a HAM. Those in our preparedness community want enough power out of a HAM radio to reach the next person in the preparedness community and no further. We are seeking the best low power rigs available. Radio rigs that run on batteries that are easy to recharge with a solar panel, can easily be man-packed or vehicle mounted, and reach just far enough.

Glad to see everyone sharing!!

Cheers,

MM.