Author Topic: Building a Gear Taco for Nomad 7's  (Read 1886 times)

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
Building a Gear Taco for Nomad 7's
« on: August 23, 2015, 06:17:18 PM »
All,

I am sure some of you's use gear tacos for holding mag's or your iPhones. I like the concept of the gear taco, the simplicity and function cannot be ignored.

To this end, I have built a gear taco to carry a Goal Zero Nomad 7 solar panel kit. If you are interested, I have posted a short article on my blog:

http://mtnmanblog.blogspot.ca/2015/08/gear-taco-for-goal-zero-nomad-7-solar.html

Cheers,

Mountainman.

PS - Picture = a thousand words. :-)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 10:19:16 PM by Mountainman »

Offline Quietman

• Contributer
Re: Building a Gear Taco for Nomad 7's
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 07:36:23 PM »
That's a great one MM. It looks like excellent quality and the stitching looks very professional. In fact the whole kit looks pro!

I have been getting camera pouches etc from garage sales, second hand stores and the dollar store. I am using them along with mollie gear like the one you are showing. A lot of smaller soft pouches have multiple compartments and good quality zippers. Many of them also come with long slings or shoulder straps etc.
They work great for lot's of things. I have one that fits an odd size of magazine for one of my semi autos and another that I use to carry extra medical kit on my tac vest.
I have a soft case for a pair of full size binoculars which works great as a drop pouch for AR mags etc or can carry whatever fits in it that I want on me for a hike. I found a camouflage bag at the dollar store that works great for the same uses.
I'm currently working on a grey man tactical vest.
I hope to have pictures soon.
Insert angry grumbling here...

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 09:12:20 PM »
Thanks Quietman,

I am getting better at these type of projects. It has taken 20 years of practice, LOL.

Cheers,

MM.

Thanks for all the visits to my blog.

Offline Malark21

• VIP
  • Risk Management, Occupation & Lifestyle
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 09:19:21 PM »
I've been using the Guide 10 for a number of years now, hasn't let me down yet. If you need a replacement panel for the nomad 7....   www.dx.com has shall we say a more price conscious version of the same 7 watt panel that I have used for a couple years now. Also they have 10.5 and 14 watt panels for a few dollars more. Between the panel and my biolite stove I have had a cellphone, ipod/radio, speakers etc. powered easily and repeatedly over a week long canoe trip with no fuss.
You do not draw your sword to fight the darkness, you light a candle...

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 12:43:25 PM »
Thanks Malark!!

That site DX dot com, looks very, very interesting. They have way more than just a few solar panel selections to choose from. States free shipping to Canada....hmmmmm.

Thanks again,

Mountainman.

Offline Malark21

• VIP
  • Risk Management, Occupation & Lifestyle
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 02:25:50 PM »
It is free shipping to Canada.... It does however take around 6 - 8 weeks I find as it comes from China. I've ordered a crank radio, very strong magnets, lots of tiny digital thermometers, a nylon hammock for $7 that compresses tiny and actually supports my 220 lbs.... Lots of interesting stuff over the last few years...

You do not draw your sword to fight the darkness, you light a candle...