Author Topic: Making your own shampoo  (Read 1260 times)

Offline kelee877

• Dignitary
  • Bugged out already
Making your own shampoo
« on: January 13, 2015, 08:10:58 PM »
Let me tell you I was very leary about doing this one, all the recipies I came across wanted us to make our own lye..in SHTF who is going to have the time to make lye for shampoo and soap..and since most of the supplies are available right now...

Starting from square one..I went to foodland after work one day and came across 3 packs of Ivory soap for 1.00, so I grabbed 5 packs..told Parkerhale about the sale and of course we returned and bought 20 packs more...

I will give step by steps and how much I used...if you have made the laundry soap I posted here then this will be a breeze to do

you will need

large pot
food processor or grater( I use a food processor for now both the laundry soap bars and ivory bars
3 bars original ivory soap
3 tablespoons olive oil
12 cups ofwater
electric blender
quart canning jars about 7( and one small one)

first I grated down the ivory soap

In your large pot put in 12 cups of water start bringing to a boil add your 3 bars of grated ivory soap and the 3 tablespoons of olive oil..while the soap was melting down I continued to grind the rest of the bars down..turn your heat down once the water starts to melt the soap and stir it a lot

Once the soap is melted down I used the same method as making the laundry soap..fill quart canning jars half full with soap mixture( I use a soup ladle so I put 4 ladles per jar, you will have some left over so you can use a smaller canning jar if need be

Once you have filled all your jars half full with melted soap mixture,fill it to the 3/4 inch below the rim...put your lid and ring on, do this with all of the jars..place the jars in a safe space UPSIDE down for 4 hours

When your 4 hours is up, then turn the jars upright,shake or use a knife to bring the water to the top..attach the base of your blender right to the canning jars and blend...

We took the first batch out of the canning jars and have stored in clean yogurt containers, we got 11 yogurt containers..we will have shampoo for a long time

Now since some of us prefer a fragrance with our shampoo you can add some of what you usually buy before you have blended the shampoo

and yes I know how does it do...it is great...the shampoo is gooey,and I was worried because I have long hair..but it works great and now we will be saving a ton of money on shampoo and conditioner, you do not need to use a lot of conditioner and next time I shampoo I am going try without conditioner afterwards and see how the brush goes through

Now for those of you who do not have a family of just take the ingredients and divide them by 3 and you can make smaller amounts

I am going to find a way to store  a lot so come SHTF it is one less job to have to do along with laundry soap
http://prepareforfuture2.forumotion.com/

In loving memory of my son Chris April 12 1985-June 19 2007

Offline kelee877

• Dignitary
  • Bugged out already
Re: Making your own shampoo
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 08:13:59 PM »
Here is the link to the laundry soap with directions so you will know what equipment you will need and they show pictures..just substitute their ingredients with what I have above for shampoo

http://canampreppers.net/forum/index.php?topic=298.0
http://prepareforfuture2.forumotion.com/

In loving memory of my son Chris April 12 1985-June 19 2007

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
Re: Making your own shampoo
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 09:23:39 PM »
Yaaaaaaa.
Prep stuff , we are back on track. Hopefully!

For shampoo I personally have been using Dawn or Dove dish liquid for years now. I like it much more than shampoo and have no dandrif anymore.

Thanks for sharing Kels. Good on ya girl