Author Topic: Penny Stoves  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Greenguy

• Campfire Member
  • Dignitary
  • Mr. Patches
Penny Stoves
« on: December 08, 2014, 01:36:01 PM »
Called by many names like Penny Stove, Ezbits, Trangia, pocket stoves, alcohol stoves, camping stoves, etc....
Home made or store bought, they're small liquid or solid fuel burners used by back packers, minimalists, and many others.
I know that many on this board are very accomplished builders of these stoves from pop cans (grouchyprepper, wild_e, justabear to name a few) as I've seen your work.  I must admit that I always thought they were interesting, but didn't think a whole lot about them.... until lately.
Lately I've been looking at them, a lot.  I'm getting a bit fanatical about them actually.  I want them in every BOB, GHB, or kit of any kind.  And why not?  They're small, easy to fuel and can do a lot in a pinch.
So, here's your chance to show off your skills and display your crafts.  Along the way, please discuss the positives and negatives.  Also, please let us all know the best pot holders for these stoves.  That's something I'm also researching!

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
Re: Penny Stoves
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 03:33:00 PM »
I,m not very handy at making these (concentration issues) but I am quite handy at making the fuel for them. .
making the fuel is almost as easy as making the stoves. and very cheap.
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 05:41:20 PM »
Zeeker..
Send me your mailing address and I will send you a couple and some of my Lcan stoves with bases... Think cat can... But improved!

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 05:46:39 PM »
Best pot holders...
For small to mid sized pot or canteen cup hands down for me are salmon cans (tins) for our guests from the UK that read Jerry's stories.

Then, the new ham or turkey with the pull tabs tins, only a fraction smaller in height and diameter.

Next would be the hinges with folding/collapsing veggie strainers.
The One stove I showed you folks how to make is self standing though you could use the folging veg strainer with it as well.?
Did you son ever make one of them after I showed him, he seemed quite keen on the idea?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 05:51:19 PM by wild_E »

Offline Greenguy

• Campfire Member
  • Dignitary
  • Mr. Patches
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 10:08:32 AM »
My son isn't old enough to be "on the tools" yet.  He continues to research and enjoy learning though.
I'm going to try and make a few myself.  I haven't yet.  I'll probably need a lot of band aids.