Author Topic: 540 patients admitted in 1 day  (Read 1725 times)

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
540 patients admitted in 1 day
« on: September 10, 2014, 01:28:10 PM »
540 Children Admitted to Cincinnati Children's Hospital With Possible Enterovirus      <blockquote>               Mod, if this has already been posted, please delete or merge.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3CuTSBbDN

Cincinnati Children's Hospital admitted a record 540 patients on Friday
    Almost all of these patients were brought in over fear that they had contracted an unprecedented lung virus spreading across the country
    So far, the hospital is reporting no confirmed cases

By Chris Spargo for MailOnline

Published: 20:23 EST, 9 September 2014 | Updated: 04:39 EST, 10 September 2014

Fears of the unprecedented lung virus that has infected over 1000 children across 10 states drove a record number of patients to the Cincinnati Children's Hospital in Ohio over the weekend.

Hospital officials say they admitted 540 patients on Friday alone, most of whom believed they were suffering from this rare respiratory condition.

So far, the hospital has had no confirmed cases of the virus, which many now think is an enterovirus.

'We're just seeing the (increased) volumes, we haven't seen (patients) sicker than usual yet,' Dr. Derek Wheeler, associate chief of staff at the hospital, told the Cincinnati Enquirer.

The previous record was 515 patients in one day.

Dr. Wheeler does, however, understand the concern many parents have, saying their fears are very much justified.

'I suspect that it's something that hasn't been around for a while and so there's a lot of people susceptible to it,' he explained.

He added that parents should make sure their children are washing their hands and getting plenty of fluids.

So far, experts have not been able to officially identity the virus, though some cases have tested positive to Enterovirus D68 or EV-D68, a rare respiratory virus that typically causes asthma-like symptoms.

There have been suspected outbreaks in Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Kentucky, Iowa, Colorado, Ohio, Oklahoma, North Carolina, and Georgia.
Sweeping the nation: The virus has already been reported across 10 states - Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Kentucky, Iowa, Colorado, Ohio, Oklahoma, North Carolina, and Georgia - and is likely to spread
+2

Sweeping the nation: The virus has already been reported across 10 states - Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Kentucky, Iowa, Colorado, Ohio, Oklahoma, North Carolina, and Georgia - and is likely to spread

The first cases were reported in the Midwest in August.

There is no specific treatment, or vaccine, for an EV-D68 infection.

Cincinnati Children's Hospital is also not the first to see such a huge spike in patients either, with facilities in Kansas City, Missouri, East Columbus, Ohio, Hannibal, Missouri, and Quincy, Illinois, also reporting record, or near record, numbers.

'It is only 10 states now, but it's going to be across the country,' said ABC News Chief Health and Medical Editor Dr. Richard Besser in a recent interview.

'So if your state doesn't have it now, watch for it, it's coming.'
Cincinnati Children's Hospital sees record number of patients as fear of new and unprecedented lung virus continues to grow across the country

By Chris Spargo for MailOnline</blockquote>
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
Re: 540 patients admitted in 1 day
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 05:56:25 PM »
read today that this is affecting adults now. my spidy sense is twitching

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 01:56:32 PM »
Seams to spread quickly. Not fun to have but I have only read of one fatality.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 03:05:51 PM »
Something to consider in the use of numbers and terms in these stories. For most hospitals every visit to an ER or Urgent Care is considered an "admission' regardless if the person stays for more than 5 minutes. Lay people see the word admission meaning you stay in the hospital. Can be a very different view of what the numbers mean. In my work I daily see many people who come to the ER to be 'checked'. Nothing really wrong with them... just seeking reassurance. They are all 'admitted', seen and discharged.
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 06:30:02 PM »
speaking of hosp admission..
I had an appt last week.. i get there. sign in.,. get the 'entry sticker'. get to proper dept and then am told, attendant booked off sick today. rescheduled.

now I,m thinking.. did my 'sticker' just say that i was dealt with that day? therefore hosp gets paid for my NON visit?
I didnt get any services at the time, but, me thinks, I was written up as a patient for that day.

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 06:33:02 PM »
speaking of hosp admission..
I had an appt last week.. i get there. sign in.,. get the 'entry sticker'. get to proper dept and then am told, attendant booked off sick today. rescheduled.

now I,m thinking.. did my 'sticker' just say that i was dealt with that day? therefore hosp gets paid for my NON visit?
I didnt get any services at the time, but, me thinks, I was written up as a patient for that day.

I'll guess the hospital did get a fee for your 'attendance'. In ER once a chart is generated there is a billing even if the person is never seen by the MD. It is different billing for different parts. The hospital visit.. then the doctor's fee and any tests that are done.
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Offline grizly1

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • old New Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 07:12:39 PM »
3 case in southern part of bc its a coming
U can't teach greatness and definitely can't fix stupid