Author Topic: red greens favorite tool  (Read 1205 times)

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
red greens favorite tool
« on: July 03, 2014, 08:28:28 AM »
by James Hubbard, MD, MPH
 Hereís a simple, easy to remember tip that could save your feet if  you have to work in wet weather. If you donít have rainboots, you can  waterproof your shoes with duct tape.
 This is an excerpt from my new book, Duct Tape 911: The Many Amazing Medical Things You Can Do to Tape Yourself Together.

Chapter 18
Waterproof Clothing

Being wet makes being cold worse. Wet skin or clothing conducts heat  away from the body very fast, possibly leading to frostbite or  hypothermia. And keeping your feet in cold, wet socks and shoes for a  long time can cause tissue damage.
 Trench foot is an example of the latter. Itís been a problem in wars,  like World War II and the Vietnam War, when soldiers have had to stand  hours upon hours in cold water. The result can be permanent tissue  damage. Wearing wet socks can cause trench foot also. That might happen  if youíre dealing with the aftermath of a flood, for example.
 And flood water poses more dangers than wetness. No matter how clear  it looks, itís contaminated with whatever chemicals and sewage itís come  in contact with. Viruses and bacteria can enter through skin scratches  and cause bad infections. And chemicals can cause nasty rashes.
 Since duct tape is waterproof, you can use it to keep moisture out of  any item of clothingóshoes, boots, caps, gloves. Just tape over the  item. Be sure to overlap the strips and leave no
gaps for leaks. In a pinch, you could even make your own gloves, hat, or  shoes out of the tape, by either just taping it to your skin or,  preferably, taping the two sticky sides together so they donít touch  your skin. (Either way, duct tape isnít breathable, so itís not good for  your skin; this is a temporary, emergency-only solution.)
To waterproof a shoe, wrap the entire shoe, overlapping the  tape to avoid leaks. If youíre going to be in water above the shoe tops,  extend the wrapping to the sock or pants leg. Of course, donít wrap  tightly enough to cut off circulation.
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most