Author Topic: Navigation  (Read 1411 times)

Offline NaturalPath

• Contributer
    • PresentlyTravelling
Navigation
« on: February 08, 2014, 04:09:00 PM »
This was started in the Wilderness Survival thread, but it morphed into something that is better continued here.  I was considering what to do with my paper topo maps, since they always become rather ragged after folding and unfolding many times.  So, what I decided to do was to use a piece of 3/16" thick wood paneling, and I glued a section of the map onto the paneling with ordinary wood glue.  Then I flipped that piece of paneling over, and glued a continuation of the same map onto the other side of the panel.  After that was done, I covered the whole panel with some 3" wide clear shipping tape.  This will waterproof the map, and also prevent any damage to the paper map during use.

I made two different size panels, and you could make any size that is convenient.  I made one so that it fits perfectly into the back of my backpack, and takes up very little space.  It also provides some rigidity, and hard protection for that side of my backpack.  It's very easy to just open the top of my backpack and slide the map board out, or in.  It will also be handy to keep on my lap, while I'm kayaking, for easy reference. 

Many times I've been out in the wilderness and I have to check my map on a windy day.  The map blows all over the place.  With this method, using a thin board, I will no longer have that problem.

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
Re: Navigation
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 01:13:32 PM »
Interesting solution.

MM.