Author Topic: More on Iceland  (Read 764 times)

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
one opinion
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 07:56:04 AM »
Re: ICELAND RIFT EVENT: Largest ever deflation measured in Iceland. Lava from Holuhraun eruption about to enter the riverbed. M5.4 NOW!!! p.434     i'll tell you how i think this will play out. the caldera floor now is floating on the magma, as per Jon on his blog.

that means that the millions, or perhaps billions of tons of rock that make up the floor is now being directly heated from underneath, by EXTREMELY hot magma, 1200c in temp.

very very slowly, it will heat up to the point it turns molten, or near molten, makes no difference really, because the 40 billion tons+ of ice sat on it will then come into play

it will slowly start sinking into this molten mass, ALL of it will. In fact, a process which has already started going by that image yesterday.

when it finally contacts the magma an extremely violent chain reaction will begin, because water expands to something like 900 times it's volume when it is flashed to steam. it can't go down, so it must come up.

every last bit of ice that contacts magma will do this. I did the sums on how much water is in 40 billion tons of ice and it comes out to over 9 trillion gallons of water

the magma chamber under there is around 250 cubic KM, not all of it eruptible of course, but we are not talking a normal situation here. I think when the non eruptible material is contacted by water it could very well erupt, so essentially this mass of ice could in fact empty the whole magma chamber, or at least a good portion of it.

That is a vei7 eruption. extremely bad for the whole northern hemisphere, but devastating for Iceland, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Finland, France, Uk, Canada, Greenland, Russia, India, even the northern USA, you get the picture? Don't forget about the 9-10 trillion gallons of water injected into the atmosphere too. Imagine the STORMS?

this is why i'm worried about it. because the floor is already floating on the magma, I can't see HOW the above won't happen,
say it as I see it, that's my motto. even the scientists are perplexed by what is going on. NOT a good sign.

the ice can't go anywhere else, it must go down. it's inevitable, unless somehow, miraculously, the floor reattaches to the walls of the caldera, and it all calms down and we all get back to scoffing maccie ds and watching our football team lose every week.

gravity is a b@#$.

another point here is if the floor is now floating on the magma, isn't it right to say that the floor, and the ice, together are acting as a pump, and it is THIS that is the driving force behind the dyke eruption?
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
if you can trust the gov?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 08:09:11 AM »
[link to volcanocafe.wordpress.com]

Peter
September 7, 2014 at 06:19

Well worry is a reasonable response in the face of this sort of thing.

What is the worst case scenario? Well have a read at this report:

[link to www.bgs.ac.uk]

Now on the face of it this could look a bit scary, it has some big headline figures of what could go badly for the UK and Europe. In fact, it is a very reassuring document. This is why:

1. You are not alone in your concerns. The UK Government, and it is implied other European governments, have been on to the fact that Icelandic Volcanoes have the potential to be bloody dangerous for a while. As you read the report, youíll realise that one of the main reasons that we are getting all this information about what is going on here, precisely because governments have recognised the problem, and are funding scientists to learn more, and perhaps more importantly right now, provide us with an early warning system.

Whilst you are at, you might want to spare a thought for the scientists. To provide us with this early warning system, they are literally risking death in the face of hot, unpredictable lava and poisonous gas (one breath and you are dead!) with the potential of, at any second facing a huge flood and only hell knows what else if that mountain really cracks one off, all of which they are doing a long, long, way from the nearest hospital. Canít say how much I admire the work that they are doing there at the moment.

2. The Government is as prepared as it reasonably can be. This was a preliminary report, from 2012. You can see the plans that were in place then, but more importantly, they have had time to mull things over, and the full final report is nearly due.

[link to www.bbc.co.uk]

Now it might seem that this means that we are facing a big problem, and they havenít even completed the report yet! But, what it actually means, is that a lot of people who have already spent the last couple years thinking hard about ways of mitigating this sort of thing, are in place, and ready to go. We are not in a situation where people searching around in the dusty archives for a decades old contingency plan.

Remember as well that, even now, whilst everything is looking a bit scary, the most likely event is that nothing will happen. This means that the biggest fear has to be that someone will cry wolf, that everyone will gear up for a disaster, and then nothing happens, and that then when there is a REAL emergency, nobody will take it seriously. In the highly probable event of that happening though, I expect that this incident will have concentrated minds wonderfully at Whitehall, and that the whatever the report suggests will be enthusiastically implemented.

So, in brief, donít worry, firstly because there is no point, because there is nothing that you personally can do about this, and secondly, youíve paid your taxes so that the Government can worry for you. And they have been.

of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most