Author Topic: ice 800 metres thick  (Read 670 times)

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
ice 800 metres thick
« on: August 21, 2014, 01:13:11 PM »
Magnitude 4 earthquake in BardarbungaFyrst birt: 21.08.2014 14:57, Sast uppfrt: 21.08.2014 16:16 Flokkar: VolcanoBrarbunga. Mynd: mar RagnarssonThree big earthquakes were detected in Bardarbunga region of Vatnajokull glacier today.  The largest quake measured 4 in magnitude and took place at 11:00. Another one was detected around 13:00 and measured 3,8 in magnitude. According to the Icelandic Met Office, this does not necessarily mean that an eruption is imminent, since the earthquakes are not located where most of the magma is. Evacuation order is still in effect for the area north of Vatnajokull.
Almost 2000 earthquakes have been detected in the Bardarbunga in the last 48 hours.
Scientist flew over the area yesterday in SIF, the Icelandic Coast Guard plane. The flight lasted for between 6 and 7 hours and was finished at around 20:00 gmt. The scientist were able to use the plane's equipment, including its radar, to gather information.
Magnus Tumi Gudmundsson, geophysicist at the University of Iceland, said yesterday that there was no change in the surface of the glacier.
We can see from the data collected that there is no flaws or dig or anything like that in the glacier, says Gudmundsson. We went over some parts of the area twice because there has been considerable sisemic activity there today (Wednesday), but we saw no change.
If there is an eruption Gudmundsson says that it could take the lava upp to 24 hours to go through the 500 meter thick ice in the glacier in the crack between Bardarbunga and Kverkfjll mountains. If there is an eruption in the caldera of Barbarbunga, Gudmundsson says it would take a very powerful eruption to go through the glacier which is up to 800 meter thick.
The Icelandic Met Office has had a 3D presentation made of the earthquakes in Bardarbunga in recent days. Measurement that included the place and deapth of the earthquakes were drawn up and the video made. The color of the dots represent the dates. These earthquakes took place on the 16th-20th of August.

Ertu me athugasemd vegna frttarinnar? Sendu frettir@ruv.isTil baka
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most