Author Topic: New Madrid Fault Line  (Read 2399 times)

Offline Jwild101

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
New Madrid Fault Line
« on: July 26, 2013, 11:41:30 PM »
Any buddy looked into the New Madrid Fault? Suppose to be more dangerous than San Andreas because it's not at the surface but in the Precambrian bedrock. For 3 month straight from Dec 1811 to Feb 1812, 3 major earthquakes 8.2, 8.1 & 8.2 hit the area. Pic are possible out comes if US is hit with major earthquakes. Would make life kinda intesting if this happened
The Count Down is On

Offline Jwild101

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
Re: New Madrid Fault Line
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 11:48:31 PM »
New Madrid Fault is just north of Memphis Tenn, near New Madrid Misssouri
The Count Down is On

Offline thecrownsown

• VIP
    • CSICOP
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 08:12:35 AM »
Never heard of it before you mentioned it to be honest!

wow.

http://www.dnr.mo.gov/geology/geosrv/geores/techbulletin1.htm
"Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has no right to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities and the smallest minority on earth is the individual."

Ayn Rand

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 04:34:23 PM »
Any buddy looked into the New Madrid Fault? Suppose to be more dangerous than San Andreas because it's not at the surface but in the Precambrian bedrock. For 3 month straight from Dec 1811 to Feb 1812, 3 major earthquakes 8.2, 8.1 & 8.2 hit the area. Pic are possible out comes if US is hit with major earthquakes. Would make life kinda intesting if this happened
Does this mean we can finally get rid of quebec? LMAO
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline Jerry D Young

• Author of a 100+ stories
  • Campfire Member
  • Dignitary
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Jerry D Young
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 07:08:49 PM »
The New Madrid Seismic Zone is a group of faults along the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers. Some believe, myself included, that the connected faults go from well below Memphis all the way to The Saint Lawrence Seaway, with off shoots up toward Lake Michigan.

I lived 40 miles slightly southwest of St. Louis until I was 14, and then moved to Senath Missouri, down in the Bootheel, essentially right on top of the major portion of the fault system. Felt several earthquakes up to a 4.x in the 20 years I lived there.

I did a lot of research on the system, when it was still just The New Madrid Fault. Even had several very interesting phone conversations with Dr. Otto Nuttley, the head of the St. Louis University seismic program in the late 70s and early 80s. Even contributed a bit of information to the research.

But what I've learned, is that if the New Madrid Seismic Zone ever kicks off again with a series of 8.x to 10.x earthquakes, the US will never be the same. Far more damage, in a much larger area, than any earthquake in California.

Millions of people will be isolated for up to months, for the transportation infrastructure will be virtually destroyed, with only minimal amounts of supplies and equipment being able to be delivered. And that would be in areas away from the edges of the destroyed area only by long range, heavy lift helicopters. Which are not in great supply.

And the loss of the agricultural capability in the area will impact most of the rest of the country, except possibly the west coast, for many years. As will the loss of most of the cross country natural gas lines, rail lines, and interstate highways that carry so much of the products from one coast to the other and to and from the mid-section to each coast.

Other than something like a NEO impact, Yellowstone Caldera eruption, or similar, the 'Big One' along the Mississippi River could be the worst natural disaster the US can experience. Worse even than some of the human caused disasters that could happen.

Just my opinion.

This area is a major concern of mine, as I still have family and friends in the area.

Jerry D Young - https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B009NMRQ26
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and always remember TANSTAAFL
(There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A Heinlein) Kindle Author page http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B009NMRQ26

Offline above all, adapt

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
  • AAA
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 09:21:11 PM »
Does this mean we can finally get rid of quebec? LMAO

HAHAHAHAHA..... ;D
Give respect, get respect.

Above all, adapt

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 06:36:18 AM »
I know, some will say I am WOOWOO. the new madrid will open up the eastern US like a can of worms.. the cayce map and the navy map may not be too far wrong, with their predictions of the new look of the USA.

On another note, the louisiana sinkhole is not overly far from the fault lines. could this be a precurser, or contributor? and with the recent vids of the tidal-like movements in the sinkhole, it would not be hard to imagine, that it is connected to the gulf..
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most

Offline Edible Wild Food

• Wild Foody
  • Pro Preppers
  • VIP
  • Wild Foody
    • Edible Wild Food
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 08:48:02 PM »
Various sources including the US Navy all state that at some point, probably in our lifetime Florida will be gone (under water), the coast lines will be seriously altered and the the New Madrid will cause the States to basically split in half. When this happens a lot of the Great Lakes water goes southbound to the Gulf.  :-[

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 07:13:52 AM »
san andreas talking to new madrid  "its not my fault.. its bush's fault"
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 12:16:28 PM »
May that is why they are offering "no fault" insurance.  >:D
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 01:56:44 PM »
May that is why they are offering "no fault" insurance.  >:D
O M G Dude.. yukyukyuk... :)