Author Topic: B.O.L.  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Jwild101

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
B.O.L.
« on: June 30, 2015, 12:29:42 AM »
Decided to put this link here because this article talks about "Considerations for Hunting Property" but these are things that may not be though about, but should be.

It's talks about "Huntable Acers"..... this could be also looked at not only huntable but forgeable or area that can be used for growing crops. Basically what is the terrain like and how can it be used to you advantage

Wind....something to think about when trying to heat you cabin/shelter on a cold winter night

Accessibility .... how easy do you want to be found?

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/tagged-out/consider-this-before-buying-hunting-property?src=SOC&dom=fb

Just a little bit more food for though.
The Count Down is On

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
Re: B.O.L.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 09:33:14 AM »
A good link with considerations that you might not consider until you have purchased a property. There is a lot I can add to this discussion as there are many more consideration if you are looking at a property long term. When I have a little more time I will break it down and post on some of the major considerations.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline Jwild101

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
Re: B.O.L.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 09:23:27 AM »
So besides ICRCC and myself, lets hear from some others. What criteria does a piece of property need to have for you to purchase it for your "Retreat"?

For me...."Location, Location, Location"
- on water or having water running through it.
- zoning....have seen some nice properties, but they were zoned "Environmentally Protected" Which means you can't do a damn thing with it.
- useable acreage ... how much is woodland, pasture or swamp
- wood ... is there sufficient wood and the right kind of wood for heating your cabin
- soil ... how deep, what kind, what will grow and what won't...what has to be done to make it useable
- drainage ... don't want to be sitting in a mud hole every time it rains
- hardiness zone .... how long is the growing season
- quiet (peace and quiet) ... how much of civilization do you want to hear..... me none or as little as possible
- accessibility(privacy) - how easy do you want to be found...how easy is it to get to your property
- communication .... have notice some property listing that say .... internet available
- re-supply ... how close to the nearest town that would offer places for re-supplying basic needs...Cdn Tire, TSC etc
- defendable ... if need be is your place defendable
- natural food source... fish, game and wild plants
- trails ... do you want, for lack of a better term PUBLICALY USED TRAIL snowmobile ATV trail running through your property?
- this last one I consider kind of important neighbourhood...where are and what kind of people are your neighbours, do you have to worry about the local Redneck with a 30-06 (these day the younger generation 300 win mag) and how close are they? Also within this category local community groups .... church, legion, lions club, are there any hunt camps, or gun ranges in the area, or other sports clubs etc. REMEMBER...KEEP YOUR FRIEND CLOSE and YOUR ENEMIRS EVEN CLOSER

Please add your 2 cents to this ......

***Just a tid bit of information for ya....Can't remember if it was the Aztecs or the Incas use to harvest the sediments for the bottom of the swamps for roof top gardens.***

The Count Down is On