Author Topic: Are you ready for anything? Really?  (Read 1099 times)

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
Are you ready for anything? Really?
« on: June 09, 2013, 09:48:36 AM »
How about this, you go to your job today and dont come home in one piece (broken bones, burns,crippled) Well right away everyone's first thought is that cant happen to me. Think again, it happens every day. Your next thought may be well my insurance policy,or WCB will look after me, good luck (through personal experience) the waitng time on your first cheque can be upto 6 months. most people live from cheque to cheque, things can get dicey. Even if you do have savings, acct,rrsp's , or something similar youre gonna find out that CRA is gonna nail you to the wall.(I'll get into that later maybe) now that's just the tip of the iceberg, what if you start using up your supplies, 6months is a long time( When you go from a 150k + a year income to 30k in the blink of an eye) It is almost impossible to catch back up. These things all contribute to a lot of stress. Now What if you are laid up and the shtf? your take on this. (BTW it does happen I'm back to work and doing well)
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
Re: Are you ready for anything? Really?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 11:33:40 AM »
I have thought a lot about this aspect. We all want to encourage those that are new to prepping but we have to be pragmatic. 

Some really prepare for one particular scenario; they do really and not just on Doomsday Preppers. This is an extremely narrow approach and not one that does not encompass the problem. Letís say you are an urban dweller are preparing for a massive solar flare with total loss of hydro, maximum breakdown of society and life WROL. You accumulate some supplies, many firearms and much ammunition. You kit out our vehicle so that is the ultimate BOV. You acquire a chunk of rural property that no one else wants where you intend to make your stand.

Now a massive solar flare is possible and many would say it is overdue. It would be devastating for sure but in reality you are much, much more likely to be unemployed or suffer a debilitating illness. Of the plans that you made only your merge supplies would be of use and because this was not your focus they would soon be consumed.

Now another prepper may take an all hazards approach. They plan to bug in and they have a good location with a yearís worth of food. To be sure they have a backup plan with a bug out location about an hour away. They have all the toys for their security and have formed a group with fifteen like minded preppers.  They have invested much of their time and all of their savings to reach this admirable point.  They are ready for anything.

Really? Well the only problem is that these preppers happened to live in the city of Qusair in Syria at the wrong time. Wait, no they lived in west of Fukushima Prefecture in Japan at the wrong time. The end result was the same for both locations. Both ended up fleeing the area with only the clothes on their backs leaving all their possessions and lifeís work behind. In the end they were like everyone else; refugees.

You get my point. It is impossible to prepare for every eventuality.  We never know what life is going to throw at us. Start preparing for the most likely event, some form of personal SHTF situation and then work build up from there.

In the end there is no way to be prepared for everything so just do what you can.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 04:09:21 PM »
This was my whole point exactly.you think you're ready for anything, but the only thing in the end that counts (as far as prepping goes) is your wits and keeping your head straight.
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 04:14:11 PM »
Prepping buy storing food and gear is good but learning skills is golden. You take them with you everywhere even if you are left with the cloths on your back your skills stay with you.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline WildernessReturn

• Campfire Member
  • Asset
    • My Wilderness Return Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 05:56:39 PM »
I am still going through my personal SHTF
sick, no work although a little work now,
money gone
food stores were depleted, went to Bulk Grain Process place picked up another 6 months of food for $95 but not a lot of variety !
along with issues of seedy, lying people who showed their true colours after my Illness, so they are not in my life now, though I wasted too much time and money with them,,,, x2 events.. so now Trust is a big issue!

Gov't does not care about you, they only care about other Govt workers and Politicians.

Start by Preparing for anything really, then move on from there. Unless you have $100 k plus to devote to this all at once, it is a slow process, some fun, some not, all worth while.
Best of luck

Yes to Skills and knowledge !!!  8)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 05:58:18 PM by WildernessReturn »
Now is the Hour of our Discontent !
no big swirly siggys' here! !!
http://wildernessreturn.wordpress.com/