Author Topic: Prepping with Elderly .... Good Topic  (Read 6219 times)

Offline Jwild101

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
Prepping with Elderly .... Good Topic
« on: July 06, 2013, 12:01:28 PM »
Prepping with Elderly .... Good Topic.

This is a topic that is either missed or forgotten about in other forums. These "Elderly" are our parents and grandparents or maybe an uncle or an aunt. Do we leave them? Do we forget about them? They are our family and in the best of times need our help. It's too easy to get caught up in our own day to day lives to forget about those that may not live with us.

So what do we do?

I look after my elderly mother, she'll be 92 in September. She's diabetic and has dementia. The dementia is bad enough that some days she doesn't even know who I am. I do have her on a waiting list for a nursing home so she can get the care that she needs. Helping the elderly is total different from helping siblings or friends. They can still fend for themselves.

If society worsens and the "Shit Really Does Hit the Fan", and I really hate to say this but I pray that she has already passed away by that time. If not .... I will be going and getting her and caring for her the best I can. Because I know that there will be NO one to care for her at the home. The people there will be left  to starve, to die with no one around to help them.

So my question to you....WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO?

The Count Down is On

Gravlore

Re: Prepping with Elderly .... Good Topic
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 12:31:58 PM »
Already planned it out. Planning on an in house AED and upscale medical supplies. Parents will be neighbors shortly. Will never abandon my parents...ever!

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 04:14:42 PM »
Great Gravlore. That is what I did. My mother, in her 90ís lived with my sister who became sick. Both of them moved close to me, next door in fact. I was able to help out with both of them. My mother died about two years after moving here. It was quality time all round. As my sister became more ill, she had ALS, she moved in with us and I was able to look after her until she passed away. My wife, daughter and I were grateful that we were able to spend those last few years with us. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline Lochlin

• Contributer
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 07:58:01 PM »
One thing I never understood about our society. They always looked at older folks as some kind of inconvenience or so it seemed. Me on the other hand couldn't have been more grateful for such a tremendous and precious resource. I look back at my family and recall the stories I was told and the skills I was taught. Wish I remembered more of that knowledge now. My family was some of the first to settle around here in the 1800's They survived famines world wars, the great depression all through their own self reliance.  They trapped, farmed, logged made a lot of their own medicines, tended their livestock made most things/ supplies they needed by hand. They were a resilient and talented group of people and we let a good deal of that basic knowledge slip away. Long winded way of saying they can still show us a thing or two about prepping and surviving. Keep them with us till the very last absolutely

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 03:00:22 PM »
I totally agree. We have just spent the last week moving my father in law from his home in the country to an assisted living apartment in a city. He is88 and always worried about renewing his licence every year as his car was his only way into town. Packing up his possessions for transport to different locations made me realise that although he does not consider himself a prepper he has forgotten more about self reliance than I will likely ever know.

Offline livingpower

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Urban Prepper/Rural Wannabe
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 11:29:11 AM »
Very good topic.  I am a single mom with two young girls (ages 9 and 11) and rent the main part of a house.  The attic is an apartment and my 73-year-old mother lives up there.  She is close and is still relatively healthy and self-sufficient, but she is on a number of medications for blood pressure and the like.  I certainly include her in all my plans.  Bugging in in an emergency/SHTF situation is definitely what we plan to do, but she can still walk and even hike through the forest if need be.  I will always make sure she is taken care of, no matter what.  We would never leave her behind.  However, I do worry about the medication issue.  Perhaps that should be a separate topic, how to get extra medication and keep it on-hand.

Offline fleetway

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 11:39:00 AM »
Perhaps herbal medicines could be made to help some conditions. Unless some Waco Dr. out there will give you a year supply of something, you may have to improvise.

Offline livingpower

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Urban Prepper/Rural Wannabe
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 11:47:13 AM »
Perhaps herbal medicines could be made to help some conditions. Unless some Waco Dr. out there will give you a year supply of something, you may have to improvise.

Yeah, I'm kind of thinking the same thing, although I have heard people talking of stocking up medications.  I have no idea how they would do that.  Fortunately, I have a good base knowledge of medicinal plants and foraging.  I just need to be sure to ramp that up and know what we can do during emergencies.

Offline fleetway

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 12:05:34 PM »
Actually, the 2 best drugs on the market are unregulated. Simple aspirin, and Tylenol#1 with codeine for pain. You can buy 200 T#1s for $13 across the counter, no questions asked. You can't do that in the USA. These 2 drugs will give you a lot of protection, for a cheap price. Get a long expiry date, and you are fine.

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 12:51:26 PM »
If you have a good rapport with your MD and explain the situation they may be willing to give you an Rx for a years supply. So long as the drugs are not controlled in some way it should be ok. Where you will mostly run into problems is that if your drugs are covered under insurance programs... and if your mom is in her 70's they are covered under the Provincial plan ... she won't be able to have more than a 3 months supply dispensed. All medications are tracked under the Provincial system so there is a clear record of what, when and how much she gets. Where you MAY be able to bypass this is if you access an online pharmacy that will dispense what you need. Of course you will have to pay for these out of pocket. Just a thought.
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 12:28:23 PM »
The Provincial is very tightly controlled, my daughter uses it. My wife and I have separate insurance plans but it is impossible to get a supply a head with these too. However where there is a will there is a way. ;D

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 03:00:10 PM »
If you have private insurance I believe you can get a prescription filled at another pharmacy so long as you pay out of pocket. Insurance will only cover up to 3 months supply at a time.
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 02:55:01 PM »
certain meds can be obtained at alternate sources. certain meds cannot. my feed store carrys 1lb? bags of tetracycline and penicillen. several other drugs  too but i never looked at them., I spose i will next time.

I have taken both of these and aside from HORRIFIC taste, they do they job well. went online and bought 1000 capsules and now put the drugs in the caps and take it that way.. much better

I had aslo read about some cattle supplement that was sposed to be very good for all animals and humans. sadly it came in a 60lb bag.. I have lots to spare now. free for all. not bgh..lol
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 02:57:01 PM by zeker »
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 03:45:49 PM »
If you feel that you have a tendency to want to MOO let us know.  :) :) :)

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 04:23:09 PM »
no mooing, but I have grown a fondness for bovine bingo. let the chips fall where they may
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 11:32:46 PM »
 :)