Author Topic: Rangerfone s-15 Smartphone Becomes HAM Radio  (Read 197 times)

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
Rangerfone s-15 Smartphone Becomes HAM Radio
« on: January 28, 2017, 04:11:05 PM »
All,

Bumped in to this video the other day. This has some potential for the emergency preparedness community. This is a HAM radio app run through a Rangerfone S-15 smartphone. This is neat. I am not sure what it can do......but, it would be very interesting for the HAM around here to watch this and report back with what they think this unit could be useful for.

Here is the link: [size=78%]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt5WRNXbdDI[/size]

I am going to think out loud here.....would this phone/radio unit be able to run in a digital environment say PSK31 or similar?? How about the AmmRON American Redoubt network?? This unit has potential. It is a field tough smartphone to start with....submersible, although not waterproof. This was tested in the video in the link. Most smartphone cannot survive falling in the snow or a mishap into a puddle. I would guess this unit could survive in your pocket during a creek/river crossing but not a scuba insertion. The fact you can make a phone operate in the HAM world with the same unit is worth learning more about.

I look forward to hearing what other know and are willing to share about this kind of technology.

Cheers,

MM.