Author Topic: Urban Operations - Defence  (Read 3986 times)

Offline Jensen

• Contributer
Re: Urban Operations - Defence
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 05:56:08 PM »
I agree that a city may be a bad place to be in a shtf situation. But these are the conditions that many preppers are prepping under. Many people do not have the option to move up north and live on a homestead.

I may have read too much into this subject given my background and experience in war torn countries. I kinda looked at this through the objective of having to fend off organised or somewhat organised groups of people in an Urban setting. Not established Military or Police units as a premise for a shtf is the absence or abolishment of said units (law and order maintainers). I am not looking at looters or hungry neighbours but one step further when organised groups establish themselves whether it is a religious cult, a political faction, a criminal gang or a group of people grouping together bent on taking resources from other people.  and

So assuming you are right a small community is the best place to be you would still need the skills to defend that place. If it a location that would qualify as an Urban setting you need to know today how you would defend that tomorrow. So I am not arguing for why people kill each other (hunger, political beliefs etc) just saying that in the situations where they do today and years back you can learn skills for tomorrow. The only changing parameters are size of attackers/defenders, skills of attackers/defenders and environment you need to defend. Therefore look to how this is employed today in the world. This does include Iraq, Syria and Ukraine in my opinion.

Animal instinct may be why we kill Henry no matter what our motivations or reasons are. Psychologists would disagree and label it something else but I can live with animal instinct.

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2015, 11:56:29 AM »
Jensen,

Many thanks for weighing in on this topic. The more experience and knowledge that is shared now, will hopefully help save lives in the future.

Having re-read the thread there are certainly some common themes:

Desperate people do desperate things. Yes, even kill each other.

A strong community has a better chance at survival than clusters of individuals, urban or rural settings. Make a community now, so you can depend on each other and work together.

Will have to finish this another time.

Cheers,

Mountainman.

Keep the bad guys as far away as possible.

Channel bad guys into areas that can be controlled and observed.

Use traps and delay devices.

If you cannot hold your position, a fighting withdrawl is the safest method of moving from one location to another.

For many, the option to live outside an urban environment is not an option.

I would like to believe that by sharing what we know now, will make a difference later when we need it to work.

Just my two cents.

MM.

Henry,

I appreciate your observations and noting the differences between pure animal instinct and faith/hate driven killing madness. In the end, there may be very little difference in the outcome of a situation - even if you know the "why" they are doing it. Being shot at because of hate or love of a god or because I am hungry, the situation is still the same for the person being shot at........flee and avoid being hit, duck and return fire, or get hit.

I always enjoy your knowledge that you share.

Cheers,

MM.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:33:39 PM by Mountainman »

Offline Henry

• Pro Preppers
  • VIP
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2015, 12:54:17 PM »
I was watching last night  movie how it would look like if a big one hit LA. The city has all kinds of preparations and ways of readiness, but one think really surprising is that they know there will be thousands of looters that will be just looting and killing .
I believe that is the same scenario for every big city.
Nothing like that would be in a small community.
Henry

Offline Jensen

• Contributer
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2015, 02:29:49 PM »
Nothing like that would be in a small community.

That is a guess. But I think that guess is affected by a wide range of factors such as proximity to a larger Urban Area, population composition etc. I fail to see why small communities are totally immune to a societal breakdown. Some will fare better than others but it is so dependent on a wide range of factors that a sweeping statement such "small communities are safe" is misleading and in no way promoting Preparedness. We should be careful in that way. Anyway I believe this is also a whole different discussion not directly related to the topic.

The topic is Urban Operations. As in if you find yourself living in an Urban Area what do you do before and after ?.