Author Topic: From Mexico To The Frozen North  (Read 2007 times)

Offline SENMOldPrepper

• Contributer
From Mexico To The Frozen North
« on: December 16, 2014, 09:12:09 PM »
Howdy, ya'll.  I live less than 2 hours from the border of Mexico in SENM (SouthEast New Mexico).  I don't want to say I've been trying to predict the future by any means, but I like feeling safe!  Just because I bought a 1964 Honda 350 Scrambler back in 1999 and fixed it up to run primo doesn't mean anything, right? LOL

We (Wifey, Sonny and I) have been looking around for quite a few years and what we see has us concerned.  We have been taking actions for quite a while now to try and insulate us from what we are afraid is coming down the pike, as well as local problems such as storms, delivery delays, etc.  The economics of the world now are of a great concern, also.

Hope to learn a bunch here and share my meager knowledge.  In my 63 years, hopefully I have something to add value to the board.

Nice to see some a few familiar folks here from all over the web.  I read tons!  Especially paw fiction (thanks, Jerry D!).  Also do a bit of shooting, some hunting and fishing, a bit of gold prospecting, and try to hold down a full-time job and raise/support a family. We work on skills such as firewood gathering, splitting, and seasoning, canning (both water bath and pressure), LTS food, and try to eat organic whenever possible.  If/when SHTF, we are going to bug-in as best we can.  My latest attempted skill set is raising ultra hot peppers, such as 7 Pot Brain, ghost peppers of several colors, Scorpions, Butch T Scorpions and Carolina Reapers, to name a few.  I love cooking all flavors of cuisine including Italian, Thai, Chinese, Middle Eastern, Cajun, Southern and everything in between.  Don't do Russian, tho.  :)  No special reason, just no really good recipes.

I travel quite a bit with my work all over the U.S. and keep my eyes open for stuff that shows me how an area is doing, such as restaurants closed/open, gas stations closed/open, # of emergency medical service providers, etc to try to gauge how things are not only in my area, but in other areas also.

Glad to be here!

SENMOP (for short!  LOL)

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
Re: From Mexico To The Frozen North
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 09:21:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Look forward to sharing ideas with you.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline SENMOldPrepper

• Contributer
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 09:32:53 PM »
Oh yeah, I failed to mention one possible important fact.  My wife and step son are both Canadian citizens!  We love going back up to "the frozen north" to visit her family and friends.  We only make it there every three or four years, unfortunately.

Offline SENMOldPrepper

• Contributer
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 09:37:44 PM »
Its h@ll getting old and forgetful.  I forgot to mention that Wifey's brother (my BIL) is a RCMP out of Alberta.  Yep, proud of that man!  He and his wife visited us down here this past summer and had a wonderful time!

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 09:49:06 PM »
Hey don't worry about I can get forget at times too. As long as we are forgetting things it means we are alive. So is your current location urban, rural or somewhere in between? We have been rural (very rural) for quite some time. So long in fact that I can't imagine living in a city anymore. Of course it was not that way when I was younger. Funny how times changes one's perspective.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 09:58:25 PM »
Hey..
Awesome introduction. !
Thanks for the breakdown on the name as well, I was wondering what that one meant.
I have family in Texas, it is a lovely little state with much variation as well. ;)

You got tons you can share!
My fav hot sauce right now is a hot red pepper sauce, hot, sweet and spicyat the same time.
Tell us and better yet show and tell the vehicle as well.
We have a member in Alberta right now who is tweeking and buying carberated vehicles so they will love that one.
Gold.. Tell how you hunt for this one and how you pan and where as well. No not the river, where in the river or creeks or land do you look, please and thanks!
Cheers pull up a seat and be most welcome here.
Ya might e end draw out some of the other US members a bit.
They be shy with us Canuks right now  C:-)

Offline Malark21

• VIP
  • Risk Management, Occupation & Lifestyle
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 07:56:55 AM »
Welcome!

I am trying to grow a dwarf Japanese chili pepper this winter indoors. Looks tasty in the pics! (Shima Tougarashi - apparently means Island Chili pepper)
You do not draw your sword to fight the darkness, you light a candle...

Offline fleetway

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 08:47:43 AM »
It's good that your wife is Canadian, and we will try not to hold that RCMP tie against you.

Offline SENMOldPrepper

• Contributer
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 02:14:34 PM »
*LOLOLing at the responses!*

Thanks for the warm welcomes.  And I'm soooooooo glad ya'll won't hold my RCMP BIL as a liability on me!  ROFL! 

As for the other topics, the Honda was a 350 scrambler model that I got for free....the owner parked it about 1975 and forgot about it somehow until I got it in 1999.  I restored it to as close to this pic as possible (hope link works)  http://git.me/photo/2014/04/21/14814889089109602304/14217564504674934784/1964-Honda-CL72-250-Scrambler.jpg.  It took several months to strip off the paint and repaint, buff out the chrome, recover seat, get carbs apart and degunked, new tires, new control cables, etc.  This was the second Honda I rebuilt.  The first was a 1960's vintage 250 Scrambler, looked almost identical the to 350 scrambler, but it was in much worse condition.  It had been parked for about 10 years longer.  Took me most of a year to rebuild that one.

I ended up selling both of them to guys that literally made me offers I couldn't refuse.  Of course, I only sold them after Y2K was over.  :)

Out here in the desert, we don't really pan for gold.  There isn't enough water to run a sluice, either, so we use alternate techniques.  My 2 are first, a Minelab gold metal detector (I use a Minelab 705 with a "DD" coil...the 705 has frequencies that depend on which coil you use so it can be either a gold, relic, jewelry or coin detector).  This is probably the most difficult way to locate gold, though.  My usual and second method is to use a puffer dry-washer, like http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=old+puffer+drywasher&id=515E9BF3FF64BCFE3895D94B0F7F7E753E3A49A9&Form=IQFRBA#view=detail&id=DF66446E40551ADC4C1C93C1F52C4C85A5EB04FB&selectedIndex=12

After getting my dirt concentrated using the drywasher, I then use a small pan with water and a drop or 2 of jetdry or liquid dawn to finish panning.  I have access to claims in New Mexico about 3 hours from where I live and in Arizona, about 10 hours from where I live.  I'm not gonna quit my day job to get rich prospecting, tho!!!  LOL  Like my name says, I'm kinda old......63....and not in the greatest of shape.  I just had an angioplasty and stent emplacement back in June and am still recuperating.  But I'm not complaining, after all, I'm on the right side of the dirt.  :)

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2014, 02:05:47 AM »
Welcome SENMOP!!

I hope you enjoy your time on here. We all do our best to share ideas and at times, some opinions.

Take care,

Mountainman.