Author Topic: Evac Checklists  (Read 7085 times)

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
Evac Checklists
« on: July 25, 2013, 10:40:15 PM »
    • Howdy All,

After the events so far this summer, it has come out in our family debriefing that we need to add checklists to our family emergency plan. So, I am also thinking about revising my book -
The G.O.O.D. Plan - Get Out Of Dodge. The revision will include checklists in their own appendix.

I want to include feedback from this group of experts, to influence my checklists. I am not guaranteeing that I will use the items listed, but I will use this medium to weigh items to ensure the correct items are included. I am not sure how to credit the ideas or suggestions given, but I will do my best.

I have two priorities for the checklists:
1) the correct items are on the list for each topic
&
2) they are listed in the correct order.

I want to devise checklists for the following topics:
  • EVAC / Bugout
  • Re-Entry
  • Recovery
  • Review
  • Debrief
Here is the my first draft for Evacuation / Bugout:
Evac - Time Permitting
  • Each member of the Family
  • Evac bag - 1x per person
  • Sleeping bag - 1x per person
  • 72 hour water & food - per person or per family
  • Important documents
  • Hard drives & photos
  • Heirlooms
  • Gun(s) & Ammo
  • Turn OFF Gas @ Shut Off Valve
  • Turn OFF Water @ Shut Off Valve
  • Turn OFF Electricity @ Breaker Box
  • Mark Front Door with a "X" in tape - indicate residence is evac'd
  • Secure all windows and doors. Double check.
  • Travel Evac Route
  • Register at Evac Centre. Leave Contact # & Address
  • Arrive @ Bugout Location
Evac with Group
  • Establish Contact with other members (cell, text, e-mail, radio, phone, personal visit)
  • Confirm RV Location & Time
  • Each Family Group - Complete their Evac Checklist, secure their home, pack their vehicle
  • Send Message to Group - Leaving Now
  • See if other members need assistance
  • Move extra vehicles & gear outside disaster area if time permits
  • Link up @ RV. Move in convoy (to BOL via Evac Centre)
  • Register at Evac Centre
  • Continue to BOL in convoy
  • Arrive Bug Out Location
That is where I am at, at the moment. If you want to participate in this exercise than leave you comments. If you want to use these checklists with your family, please use them. If you want to share these with others, that should be okay too. If you are worried your idea will not provide you with a substantial monetary return, than please do not post here. Take the time to write your own book and get full credit for your idea. If you are planning to use information from here for your own work, please let everyone know what you are working on. There are lot of great people here.

Thank you, in advance for taking your time to review these lists and posting your opinions and thoughts. Like I said before, you are not forced to participate in this, but I really appreciate any and all feedback - positive or negative. If, negative please support your post with facts.

Thanks,

Mountainman.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 10:57:28 PM by Wild_E »

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
Re: Evac Checklists
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 10:43:16 PM »
Admin,

Not so sure the list function worked.......either that or I am not a qualified user to make it work properly.

Imagine if you will; that each item on the lists each have their own bullet preceding them.

Mountainman.

Edited for you.
it is sort of a pita when you copy and paste, working on that issue. Once pasted you need to go back in and re-edit things. I found that the list is best to give a space in between, then delete the space afterwards.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 10:58:57 PM by Wild_E »

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 11:56:31 PM »
Thanks WildE for the tech help on getting the bullets to work.

Offline rmactsc

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Author
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 12:09:09 AM »
Good list.  One of the other items I suggest is a handwritten how to book.  While you and I and others may know how to do many of the things on the list; other people in your group or family may not.  I keep a handwritten survival and preparedness journal available with step by step how to's on many of the basic survival and preparedness things that need to be done; but might not be everyday common knowledge.

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 02:23:25 PM »
Related to marking your door with an "X"... have a marker or can of spray pain that will contrast your door color. Mark EVACUATED plus date and time. Also mark ALL entrances. S+R may not go around the building to check all doors before forcing entry to check.

JAB
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 11:24:24 PM »
Rmac like the journal idea.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 11:29:53 PM by Wild_E »
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 11:30:10 PM »
Rmac like the journal idea.
He made a nice post and found some good pics in his blog post about it recently.

Offline rmactsc

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Author
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 08:58:45 PM »
Thanks.  I find the journal idea works well as it becomes almost a never ending project.  Always something new to add.

rmactsc.wordpress.com

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 10:47:34 PM »
Good Ideas, all.

A how-to or SOP book is a great idea.

The Painted "x" with time and date is a good idea. Just don't count on your door not being bashed in anyways. At least this time around the RCMP are agreeing to pay to replace doors around here. If we don't get reimbursed I will let you know.

I am still working on the other checklists. I will update soon.

Mountainman.

Offline thecrownsown

• VIP
    • CSICOP
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 12:53:09 AM »
I think your list is excellent.  I've printed off a copy to start and modify for our own use.

One area we struggle in:  Contact with family.  With a family unit...kid in school, parents at work....what do you do to ensure everyone gets back?  There are so many scenarios...who picks up the kid from school?  How do you check to make sure the other parent doesn't need assistance getting home?  What if...what if...what if...

I'll be honest...if there was a power outage, or major communications interruption, how would you have a failsafe plan in place to ensure everyone gets back and no one is stranded.  How do the rest of you do it?   Though prep'd and ready to go and the house is stocked, and your BOB and Bug out plan ready to go "from Home." ....What if you work in the Sault, your wife in Searchmont, and your kid is in school on the far side of the Sault....and you all have to meet back at the ol' house while still having to get the kid safely....now imagine no communication.....how do you work a plan out?  Then add in the extra variable of a brother or sister or in laws coming from 100 miles away...how do you ensure they are taken care of?  What if someone in your group doesn't show up? do you look for them? leave them? 
"Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has no right to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities and the smallest minority on earth is the individual."

Ayn Rand

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 10:31:16 AM »
That is why a get home bag is an absolute necessity if you are away from home. Also your plan you must have a rally point for family and friends. I am not a fan of geocaching but it is something worth considering.  As far as going to look for them it would depend and the situation. Provided that you would not be placing yourself, or more importantly the people you would be leaving during your search, you might consider it. If there was any additional risk by conducting the search it would be a wiser choice to stay put and hope that the absent family or friends eventually find their way to you.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 01:37:58 PM »
I agree with ICRCC in that you need to have rally points. There can be any number of scenarios where your family members and friends would be spread around. If it is the "normal" work/school day then have one site designated and all meet there. Kids would need to be taught the plan and to follow it and trust it. You can't build in for every scenario so in the end you have to decide what your final choices will be. If people don't show and you decide to go and look for them you become as "lost" as they are. No one knows where anyone is. You have to create a firm base and trust that everyone will get there. If after a certain amount of time passes and the majority of members have shown THEN you could modify your plan to go search. Even then you would have to define llmits such as distance you wish to foray and time you wish to be away from your base. Separation and reduction in numbers always result in increased risk. The risk/benefit equation should always be the deciding factor.

JAB

Offline Ranger2012

• Tinker
  • Pro Preppers
  • VIP
  • We Prep to live, Not just to survive.
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 03:35:03 PM »
Here is a question, that many would be troubled by. In order to get home, would you steel some ones bike? Would you have the means to do it, if you choose to? Would you leave some form of compensation behind...Money, gold jewelry? Now I don't expect too many answers to this, as everybody has there own moral factor and will not essentially say what they would actually do.
But think about it, and what would the circumstance be that would be justifiable for you to do it. Would you try first to buy it if you could, depending on where you are, city,  suburb or country.

As I said, think about it.
We learn, We practice, We teach.

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 03:54:03 PM »
Barter, barter, barter ... everything has its price. What exactly did you mean by "if you head the means to do so"?
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 04:23:57 PM »
Calling on the "moral compass"... IF there was an event I would have with me the means to get where I need to go..... feet and supplies to last at least 3 days including shelter and water. There is more to this than just taking something. Consequences..... Are you prepared to have someone dog you and do what they need to do to get it back? If you needed it then so would they. You would also run the risk of another person "knowing the bike"... or whatever you took. Once labeled a thief you will be hard pressed to be trusted by others. Even if you are moving with the herd you will link up with others going in the same direction... at least for part of your journey. If you are seen to be "one of them" then you will have a level of acceptance... strength in numbers.  If you are seen to be a looter then you will be on your own and a more likely target of others who may need your stuff.

JAB

Offline Greenguy

• Campfire Member
  • Dignitary
  • Mr. Patches
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 05:07:02 PM »
Here is a question, that many would be troubled by. In order to get home, would you steel some ones bike? Would you have the means to do it, if you choose to?

I was raised in a good, god fearing home by two great parents.  I believe I have a good moral compass.  I try to be the same sort of example to my children that my Dad was to me.  However, if my family was in imminent danger, I would have no problem stealing a bike, car, boat, bus, horse, scooter, donkey, or whatever other mode of transportation available at the time to get me closer to them as fast as possible.  In fact, if it were a matter of life and death, I'd probably attempt the theft even if it were in use at the time.  Regarding future consequences, there's a saying for that:
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Offline wild_E

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 05:29:45 PM »
Look to issues in the Balkans for recent European actions.

Looters who were identified, were stoned or shot on the side of the road. People where dragged into the street, beaten by other villagers and made an example of. Almost all who asked for help where helped. Some were given bikes and were asked to bring them back, even given cars or told to simply hop on the roof of the vehicle as it was already going that way.

In times of trouble be sure to insulate yourself from it and do not get into more trouble along the way.
Read the info provided by MountainMan and then condensed by myself in another section on those troubles and what happened.
just my thoughts.

Personally, if you ask I will give you most anything, steal if from me and I will hunt you down.

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 06:00:29 PM »
@Greenguy..."In fact, if it were a matter of life and death, I'd probably attempt the theft even if it were in use at the time."

All I can say to that is ... " Thank's for the warning"

JAB

Offline Greenguy

• Campfire Member
  • Dignitary
  • Mr. Patches
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 07:51:14 PM »
Don't worry Wild_E & JAB, my event construct was clearly defined as one of extreme and imminent danger or emergency, not a decent into lawlessness in general.  I find your apparent revulsion as interesting.   
I remember when I was young and had been in a very bad accident, and at the time there was a chance I might die.  My father was himself in the hospital in another town and had just had elective surgery.  Upon hearing my state, he rose from the post-op bed (to the extreme dissatisfaction of the nurses) and walked out.  He broke every highway traffic act law to get to me.
I would do the same, and worry about smoothing it out with everyone later.
I don't see his actions as a character flaw or moral failing at all, nor do I see my willingness to do the same.

Offline wild_E

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 08:01:24 PM »
Greenguy,
I think what your father did was commendable and of a different category as well.

The OP post was on a different tangent, this has gone in a different direction.
One of the MODS kindly separate the thread ..
where Ranger states the differing tangent, and make two threads please. This one can have a different name as well, perhaps Morality of looting or acquisition in times of SHFT