Author Topic: The Meat Crisis Is Here: Price Of Shrimp Up 61% 7 Million Pigs Dead Beef At  (Read 836 times)

Offline kelee877

• Dignitary
  • Bugged out already
As the price of meat continues to skyrocket, will it soon be considered a "luxury item" for most American families?  This week we learned that the price of meat in the United States rose at the fastest pace in more than 10 years last month.  Leading the way is the price of shrimp.  According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the price of shrimp has jumped an astounding 61 percent compared to a year ago.

The price of pork is also moving upward aggressively thanks to a disease which has already killed about 10 percent of all of the pigs in the entire country.  And the endless drought in the western half of the country has caused the size of the U.S. cattle herd to shrink to a 63-year low and has pushed the price of beef to an all-time high.  This is really bad news if you like to eat meat. 

The truth is that the coming "meat crisis" is already here, and it looks like it is going to get a lot worse in the months ahead.

more at link
http://www.activistpost.com/2014/05/the-meat-crisis-is-here-price-of-shrimp.html#more
http://prepareforfuture2.forumotion.com/

In loving memory of my son Chris April 12 1985-June 19 2007

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
I love shrimp.. but after gulf oil BP shenanigans, i wouldnt touch it. I never trust the lable as to origin.
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most

Offline hayseed

• Contributer
I love shrimp too, but I can live without it.

I have some doubts about meat shortage. Beef prices are up, here in Canada, but not that much. If they wanted to curb the prices in the US they could remove the country of labeling requirement for Canadian beef that they just slapped on. It means that the US packers quit importing Canadian beef because it cost too much to label and store all the meat from different countries separately.  Or so they say. Who really knows.  The new US labeling laws are keeping the prices down in Canada though. It seems to me that if a grocery store can slap labels on 40,000 products and where they come from, a packing plant might manage it. They actually closed down some Canadian stockyards because of the drop in exports.

As to pork, its still dirt cheap. I am selling my piglets right now, and people are trying to weedle me down on the price. They want the same prices they have been paying since the dark ages. The factory farms aren't selling piglets this year, because of the pig virus, and the little farmers like myself are getting out of pigs because we cannot sell the piglets for what it costs to produce them let alone make $10.00.  I am sick to death of people thinking I should give my stuff away. The phrase, make friends with a farmer and get it for free drives me nuts. The same goes for borrowing my equipment; ain't going to happen.

Anyways, that was my rant.

Question of the day: how many 40 lb  piglets can you get in a small car trunk?

Somebody from Huntsville realized the value of the piglets and loaded up on the way back from Napanee this morning. I am thinking there is a pig shortage up there for sure because he kept getting calls from friends to bring them one too. We ended up putting some in the back seat. I told him to make sure the video was running when the cops stopped him.

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
it wouldnt be the first time there was a pig in the backseat.. ooops :o
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most