Author Topic: Medication  (Read 2036 times)

Offline livingpower

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Urban Prepper/Rural Wannabe
Medication
« on: February 26, 2014, 11:32:33 AM »
While this is not a topic that is strictly related to the elderly, it is perhaps most relevant to them because they are more likely to be on multiple/life-saving medications.  How does one get extra blood pressure, cholesterol, and other medications for an elderly parent and keep it on hand for emergencies.  Doctors have to write the prescription and they aren't exactly going to hand out extra, are they? Of course, there are also issues around expiry dates and such, but vacuum sealing and freezing meds is a big help.

Offline above all, adapt

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
  • AAA
Re: Medication
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 01:21:11 PM »
Hi LivingPower,

Yes most docs will give you an extra month or several months worth of medications if you ask them. Say either you would like, lets say, "3 months worth of grandma's meds in case of a emergency" or you could say "3 months worth of grandmas meds for the upcoming road trip this spring"  ;)
If the doc refuses (I wouldn't think he would, though possible for certain medications that need to be monitored closely with lab work or other concerns) go to another doc and try again
hope this helps
Give respect, get respect.

Above all, adapt

Offline livingpower

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 01:32:10 PM »
Hi LivingPower,

Yes most docs will give you an extra month or several months worth of medications if you ask them. Say either you would like, lets say, "3 months worth of grandma's meds in case of a emergency" or you could say "3 months worth of grandmas meds for the upcoming road trip this spring"  ;)
If the doc refuses (I wouldn't think he would, though possible for certain medications that need to be monitored closely with lab work or other concerns) go to another doc and try again
hope this helps

True, you can get at least a 3-month supply.  I was more thinking that you can't squirrel some of that away and then go back in a month later and get more so that you can generate a small stockpile.  For instance, if you are near the end of your 3-month supply and the SHTF, then what would you do?

Offline above all, adapt

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
  • AAA
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 01:46:00 PM »
Well yes, that's the big question...then what?
The only other alternative is to find alternative remedies now (herbs etc) and try them before SHTF and hopefully they will work and then one isn't dependant on pharmacies.... just dependant on the health food store  :o  unless you can grow your own herbs etc..but anyhow one would be able to stockpile a lot more times worth from health food store I would think.
however,  I DO NOT RECOMMEND that you fiddle around with alternative remedies for grandma's health conditions ...you mentioned high cholesterol, high BP.... herbs work because they are powerful and thus they interact with other medications, can be dangerous.
I am a nurse if you have any personal questions about granny  :)  feel free to PM me  :)
I don't quite understand what you mean by generating stockpile by going in a month later and asking for another 3 months worth?
Give respect, get respect.

Above all, adapt

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 03:09:54 PM »
There is another thread in this topic with the same question so I will paste my reply here as well...

"If you have a good rapport with your MD and explain the situation they may be willing to give you an Rx for a years supply. So long as the drugs are not controlled in some way it should be ok. Where you will mostly run into problems is that if your drugs are covered under insurance programs... and if your mom is in her 70's they are covered under the Provincial plan ... she won't be able to have more than a 3 months supply dispensed. All medications are tracked under the Provincial system so there is a clear record of what, when and how much she gets. Where you MAY be able to bypass this is if you access an online pharmacy that will dispense what you need. Of course you will have to pay for these out of pocket. Just a thought."

Regarding going to another MD and getting another prescription ... that would be considered fraud, especially if the provincial plan paid for them. If you should do this and your MD finds out about it they may end their relationship with you and then you will have no MD.

Hope it helps
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 03:16:07 PM by JustABear »
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 08:52:25 PM »
my experience with attempting to get extra meds..
out west i asked my dr for 30 ea of a few antibiotics and tylenol 3.. I explained that I had a boat that i went out on the ocean for extebded stays and needed them for the first aid kit.
he agreed and I got them.

fast forward to ontario. I asked dr for 10 of antibiotic (cephalexin) and 10 tylenol 3 and 10 muscle relaxant for first aid kit.
not a snowballs chance in hell.!!!!!!
......................................................................................
my antibiotics now are in the form of chicken meds.tetracycline and some kinda ....cylin.
pain meds I will improvise.
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most

Offline tazweiss

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Old Prepper
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 09:44:37 PM »
If you do manage to stockpile a few extra meds, keep an eye on the expiry date.  When they get near expiry, take them back to your doctor for disposal.  It'll help build trust by showing your doctor that you didn't try to accumulate extra for nefarious reasons, ie: selling them to a third party.
Amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 07:54:45 AM »
I was reading lately that expiry dates on MOST drugs are just to sell more. In fact, many are good for 5 yrs and more after date.

Offline Malark21

• VIP
  • Risk Management, Occupation & Lifestyle
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 10:47:28 AM »
My understanding is the format of the pills play a big part. Its why I always choose solid pills over gelcaps or even the stuffed capsules when at all possible. The solid ones can last over 15 years. Here are articles I read http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update1103a.shtml  and  http://www.drugs.com/article/drug-expiration-dates.html .  Ill post one section for quick reference...
"Most of what is known about drug expiration dates comes from a study conducted by the Food and Drug Administration at the request of the military. With a large and expensive stockpile of drugs, the military faced tossing out and replacing its drugs every few years. What they found from the study is 90% of more than 100 drugs, both prescription and over-the-counter, were perfectly good to use even 15 years after the expiration date. "
You do not draw your sword to fight the darkness, you light a candle...

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 12:07:50 PM »
Well that is just awesome info thx for sharing it and taking the time to research it out.
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline livingpower

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 08:56:39 AM »
My understanding is the format of the pills play a big part. Its why I always choose solid pills over gelcaps or even the stuffed capsules when at all possible. The solid ones can last over 15 years. Here are articles I read http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update1103a.shtml  and  http://www.drugs.com/article/drug-expiration-dates.html .  Ill post one section for quick reference...
"Most of what is known about drug expiration dates comes from a study conducted by the Food and Drug Administration at the request of the military. With a large and expensive stockpile of drugs, the military faced tossing out and replacing its drugs every few years. What they found from the study is 90% of more than 100 drugs, both prescription and over-the-counter, were perfectly good to use even 15 years after the expiration date. "

This is good to know.  Do you know if this applies to antibiotics?  I have heard that some types of antibiotics become toxic when they pass their expiry date, but I haven't taken the time to research this yet.  I do have one prescription's worth of antibiotics vacuum sealed in my freezer.  I don't really do antibiotics, preferring natural alternatives, but when I was given a prescription I could use if I couldn't clear up a skin infection on my own, I filled it and kept it.  Antibiotics are likely easier to get than other meds.

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 09:01:50 AM »
in troubled times it may be easier to take a pill, than to go out and source ingredients for natural cures. I agree.. natural is the way to go, but, strength and availablity are important considerations.
by all means, study and learn natural alternatives.. I,m sure there will come at time when they are the only show in town.
knowledge never gets out dated. but I do.  :'(

Offline livingpower

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 10:00:10 AM »
in troubled times it may be easier to take a pill, than to go out and source ingredients for natural cures. I agree.. natural is the way to go, but, strength and availablity are important considerations.
by all means, study and learn natural alternatives.. I,m sure there will come at time when they are the only show in town.
knowledge never gets out dated. but I do.  :'(

It's true zeker that having the option of popping a pill is necessary.  That's why I am trying to stock them.  I also plan on having many of nature's healers growing in my backyard.  Garlic is one of the most powerful natural antibiotics there is and easy to grow.  There are many other medicinal plants that can be grown in an herb garden or in pots. I just moved last year and have to start over, but I had quite a nice variety started and some established.  My plan is to have both options available in my home so I don't have to go out looking more than absolutely necessary.  I actually just stocked up a bit on both acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and polysporen.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 10:01:30 AM by livingpower »