Author Topic: A "study" on conspiracy theory  (Read 2892 times)

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
A "study" on conspiracy theory
« on: November 01, 2013, 10:20:52 AM »
 Check this out, the conspirators are conspiring about conspiracy...or something like that. This link is from the Republican Broadcasting Network.

http://republicbroadcasting.org/have-you-ever-come-across-an-imperialist-who-was-keen-on-activists-challenging-the-establishment/
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
Re: A "study" on conspiracy theory
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 11:13:52 AM »
Great find Nobshere. No doubt that some of our “anti conspiracy theorists “on this site will be chomping on the bit to reply to this one.

The article lays out the events fairly and delves into the background. What I like most and what I think leads to the most understanding is the approach of “follow the money”.  There are always those who are prepared to fund studies to make their point whether it is valid or not. Unfortunately there are also always those, even within the realms of distinguished academia, who willingly accept those funds.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline Primus is Scrounger

• VIP
BANNED(due to vulgarity and many other issues..) also known as Scrounger

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 12:02:20 AM »
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-people-believe-in-conspiracies

Of course there are always two sides to a coin. Sometimes events can be misconstrued other times the events are interpreted correctly. The link is worth a read but when the author states “Conspiracies do happen, of course” it kind of negates most of the rest that he has to say in the article. ;)

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 01:02:44 AM »
Never said conspiracies never happen my friend.  Just seems like for some people they happen all the time.  If the mods show my second post in this thread you will see some more of the reasons why.  Unless there is some kind of conspiracy to block it.   >:D   Very curious indeed.  Patterns are emerging.

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 03:42:14 PM »
Aw darn.  My second post disappeared.  :o

• VIP

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 12:15:22 AM »
The problem with an article like this by Maggie Koerth-Baker is that it attempts to lump together all conspiracy theories in the same bucket. Somewhat akin to making a statement that there is only one religion in the world, something that clearly is not the case. Conspiracy theories can have many origins; they can originate from fear or ignorance while others develop from well founded hypotheses that are based on strong circumstantial evidence.

Jesse Walker who writes for reason.com puts a better perspective on the article:

Virtually everyone who has any political beliefs at all believes in at least one conspiracy theory. Imagining conspiracies is just part of how human beings tend to perceive the world: It's where our drive to find patterns meets our capacity for being suspicious, particularly when we're dealing with other nations, factions, subcultures, or layers of the social hierarchy. This habit manifests itself across the political spectrum, and it always has. And it is intensified by the fact that conspiracies, unlike many of the monsters that haunt us, do sometimes actually exist. (Koerth-Baker acknowledges that last point -- she mentions Watergate, Iran-contra, and the Tuskegee experiment -- so presumably when she writes "political conspiracy theory" she means "political conspiracy theory that is not accepted historical fact.")

Offline Greenguy

• Campfire Member
  • Dignitary
  • Mr. Patches
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 04:30:34 PM »
It's pretty simple really.  Humans entertain conspiracy theories because we lie.  When I lie to my wife, it might be stupid, but it's not a conspiracy since I'm the only perpetrator.  When one group lies to another group, it's a conspiracy. 
How do you know when you're being lied to by a group?  The same way your wife knows when you're lying to her.  Examine the evidence and follow the money (or motivation). 

Offline tazweiss

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Old Prepper
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 06:14:15 AM »
I have read some pretty hokey conspiracy theories.  Theories that can only be believed if you live under a rock.  But then again, "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you."  Each of us has at least one conspiracy theory we believe in.
Amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

Offline Henry

• Pro Preppers
  • VIP
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 08:59:18 AM »
When you see how many people actually believe that Obama is the best president ever you have to believe that THEY can control human minds. Can not be that many stupid people or can it be???
Henry

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
I don't think that the majority of them are stupid. I think that they are only able to go with the information that they are given or choose to believe. Most people wan/have to trust a leader, it's just easier to have someone else do your thinking for you. TPTB rely on this little quirk of mob mentality, and use it to great effect. Distraction and illusion of well being are their greatest weapon.
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline Henry

• Pro Preppers
  • VIP
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 12:18:53 PM »
Every so often I help serving food to so called needy. 70% of them are 20 to 40 yrs old . Every time you ask them why they do certain things the answer is that they saw it on TV  and tv said it is good. You are right too many are too lazy to think for themselves. (brain dead). Sadly it is more and more of them.
Henry

• VIP
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 01:53:08 PM »
Henry, what are the "certain" things they are doing?

Offline tazweiss

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Old Prepper
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 02:46:02 PM »
Unfortunately, for years, people have relied on TV and video games to raise their kids.  Schools demand a calculator in every pocket and twitter & facebook are how people socialize. 
When I was a kid, my parents always told me to go outside to play (even in cold or wet weather).  The only calculator I had was a slide rule and I actually had to go see my friends if I wanted to socialize.
Nowadays we're taught through media what the PTB want us to think.  From the time we crawl out of the womb, 'til the time we crawl into the tomb, we're bombarded with how to think and how to act, what to buy and who to vote for.  While TPTB have access to mass media, we are stuck with getting the message out to one person at a time.  A big disadvantage for us is that our messages aren't always consistant, whereas the PTB have almost always been the same.  Our very individualism provides opportunity for some wild conspiracy theories that tend to paint the realistic ones with the same brush.  To many, it makes us all appear as nutcases.
Amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 03:10:35 PM »
Some people have a different conspiracy theory;
they think that the Government is there for them, will protect them, will care for them and has their best interests at heart in all matters. They constantly try to win others over to their way of thinking, attacking anyone who dares to try to have an original thought or observation that they themselves refuse to see or ignore.
Right to the person who constantly attacks others thoughts without putting any useful information out there himself !

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 09:14:31 AM »
I like your approach Wild_E it seems to be very close to the real truth.